Caring for Cambodia’s elephants post pandemic
Help us help elephants! Currently we are caring for 12 retired & rescued elephants at the Elephant Valley Project, while also operating a Mobile Vet Team. Previously reliant on tourism income, ELIE is feeling dramatic cuts in funding due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic. Funds raised will support the long-term care for elephants, critical vet programs and create resiliency and well-being within the vulnerable indigenous Bunong communities we work with, while the tourism industry recovers.
For this we will NEED YOUR HELP!
Donate Online – GlobalGiving
Being on this GlobalGiving platform enables us to take tax free donations from the UK and USA, as well as monthly donations, all on the one platform. GlobalGiving make our overall fundraising easier and continue to help us to help elephants across Cambodia.
There are a number of different ways to increase your impact when making a donation to us and the elephants.
1) One off donation – make a donation of any amount to help Cambodia’s elephants and also help us meet our target.
2) Monthly recurring donation – Sign up for a monthly direct debit donation of $10, $15, $20 or more to help the continued care of our elephants. GlobalGiving will also match the first monthly donation 100%!
So please help us help the elephants and local community get through this difficult year, by making a donation now!
You can transfer funds from within Cambodia or overseas by direct bank transfer to our donation account. Please transfer to the below account and also send an email to email@example.com – to inform us you have sent funds and how much, so we can check the account and show where the funds have come from. Being a charity/NGO we want to remain as transparent as possible.
Bank: Acleda Bank Plc.
Address: #61, Preah Monivong Blvd, Sangkat Srah Chork, Khan Daun Penh, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
Swift code: ACLBKHPP
Chips UID : 415637
Account Name : E.L.I.E
Account No. 3000‐20‐948825‐1‐8
Running a project in the remote east of Cambodia sometimes limits the access to certain resources. There are also some things that are far outside our reach from general funds raised through the EVP. Therefore we have created a wish list. Some things are small and you may be able to pack them in your suitcase if coming from overseas, (which would be an immense help). Others are a dream, but if you have the means and would like to fundraise and sponsor one of the bigger items that would make a big difference to the project and thus the elephants please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
There are many medicine supplies and small additions that can help our elephants and also human medical kits onsite. Items that would really help us along the way are :
– We need iodine and lots of it. We use a 10L bottle for Sambo alone ever few weeks, for her foot soaks. – Purchasing a 1L bottle of Iodine in Phnom Penh and donating it to us to help to treat elephant wounds and give foot baths would be an enormous help. Or if anyone works for a medical supply company that would like to sponsor this medicine in bulk, please let us know (Annually we use about 200L).
– Vet Cream – 3 Action – Antibiotic, Anti-Inflammatory & Aesthetic – for example these medications – NeoSooth orNeoCort – you may need to ask your vet to prescribe as a take away medicine for donation overseas.
– Boxes of surgical gloves
– First Aid Supplies (Packets of Plasters, Bandages, Gauze Pads, etc.)
– Antibiotic cream, antiseptic cream, mosquito repellent, de-worming medication for cats and dogs.
– Packets of 500 mg Paracetamol and Ibuprofen (we can buy this here but International brands are better quality.)
For the EVP Site
– Hats, work clothing, rain jackets, work boots, gum boots, etc. (You can use while you are here and leave behind).
– Thick work gloves
– Electric torches (preferably rechargeable)
– Tools of all shapes, kinds, and sizes
Elephant Medical Treatment & Training Areas
We have received some funding over the years from generous donors, where we have continued to develop the centre. Things like gas cookers to heat the water, training fences and Sambos treatment area. This centre however is getting older and needs constant repairs. We would also like to build some small treatment enclosures, for sick elephants that need to spend the night or longer close to the clinic. We would like to build 2 more elephant medical treatment and positive reinforcement training areas within the forest areas. We have one close to base camp and would like 2 more in the bottom of the valley. This would make giving treatment to the elephants much easier and safer, especially the old guys and gals that might not like getting injections very much. Estimate cost for each mini training/treatment fence $1000 – $2000.
Any working technology is always much appreciated as our work in the field eats these items. Rarely do we get funding for technology, but are super low on computers in the office, so any help goes a long way!
Most of the project staff have always used their own motos. We would love to give some of the key staff project motos, which are newer and more reliable for ease of work and safety.
Solar Power for the EVP
We currently do not have a consistent green electricity supply at the EVP. We do run a generator for power 3 hours per night and when needed, but we would love to fit out the whole camp with solar. This would be more environmentally friendly, enabling us to have hot showers in the cold season and also so we don’t have to listen to that big smelly generator each night. We have a quote for the full system for the main site and setup cost will be around $10,000, with a solar company in Cambodia that works with NGO’s. If you are interested in supporting all, or even part of this effort, then please drop us a line. 🙂